Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gabe turns the BIG 5!

It doesn't seem possible that our little boy is growing up so fast! Gabe was SO excited for his birthday this year that we got a calendar and counted down the days. He had a few requests for his birthday this year: "light up shoes" (the soles light up when you walk), Captain Jack Sparrow pirate stuff, a vanilla cake with strawberries on top, and a birthday party at the park with his friends. He got it all!

His birthday started off with opening presents with his sister. Then Mark took him to breakfast. Afterwards we played outside for a while before his birthday party in the afternoon.

The birthday party was so fun! I wrote a letter from a pirate that Mark read to the kids. It told them that the pirate had left his treasure hidden somewhere in the park, and they would be given clues how to find it. To start off the treasure hunt we gave each of the kids eye patches so they were all official pirate treasure hunters. I hid four clues throughout the park and the last clue led them to a bunch of pine trees where I had covered a treasure box pinata with a large blanket and printed out a big X on a piece of paper and taped in on the blanket. The kids freaked out when they found it. But Gabe said he thought we were supposed to dig for the treasure. So smart! Anyway, the kids took turns hitting the pinata and Mark had to help them out too. I think Gabe finally broke the pinata and when the loot (candy) came down the kids had a great time. They were all good and shared too.

Next up was the cake. I had wanted to decorate a pirate cake, but for days Gabe said he wanted a vanilla cake with white frosting and cut up strawberries on top. So that's what I made him. And he loved it! He had two pieces!

The rest of the party the kids played in the park, and it was a perfect, warm day for it. Gabe invited kids from the neighborhood, his cousin Ethan and a friend from preschool. He had a great day and was so happy.

Gabe is such a special little boy. Mark and I have been amazed at his incredible sensitivity to his little sister. They have such a special connection. He cares for her and plays with her so well. He loves to make her smile and laugh and never likes to see her feel sad or cry. He jumps to her aid immediately and tries to make her feel better. He is honestly the best brother a baby girl could ask for.

In February Gabe started to read! I showed him some books and he just sounded out the words. I was so excited and I could tell he was so proud of himself! He just started soccer again this spring and is on a great team with one of his good buddies. He is so excited to be in swim lessons again this summer and wants to go hiking more in the mountains. He is incredible on his bike, which makes his daddy super happy. And he has been enjoying his preschool class, but is so excited for Kindergarten, but not the shots that he has to get before he goes. Best of all, as his preschool teacher told me last week, Gabe is a friend to everyone. Wherever we're at, he's always talking to people and asking them if they want to play and be his friend. I love that quality about him. He is so loving and kind. There are more than 15 kids his age in just our neighborhood alone, so he has a lot of friends too.







Thank you Heavenly Father for sending Gabe our way through those you care for and love. We continue to know every day that he and his sister are gifts from a very loving and gracious God.

On April 17 I wrote:

Five years ago on this day a little miracle baby we called Gabe officially became a part of our family through the incredible act of adoption. We are so blessed to have him and love him so much! To all of the biological birth moms out there who have placed their precious babes with an adoptive family, I say Thank You. Your selfless act helps families in ways you may never know or see. You are angels here on earth.




No comments: